Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my house ready to rent?
- Your home must be left in professionally cleaned condition. illume Property Management would prefer to arrange this cleaning to ensure that the cleaning guidelines are strictly followed.
- The carpets must be freshly cleaned and all debris and personal belonging removed from the house.
- You should consider painting any room that has dirty or marred walls. A neutral color is best. We will be happy to discuss any necessary repairs or painting with you.
- Neutral window coverings such as blinds should be left; however any themed roomed window coverings' should be removed. Tenants moving into a rental property do expect some sort of window coverings to be provided for privacy and safety.
- Whether or not the washer, dryer, or refrigerator should be left depends on the property and can be discussed with us prior to placing the home on the rental market.
- The tenants are requested to maintain the yard in the condition it is provided to them. Therefore, the yard should be freshly mowed, weeded, trimmed and the leaves and debris removed.
How is the property protected if the tenant causes damage?
- In most cases, the security deposit collected upon move-in is more than adequate to repair the minor damages caused by tenants. Tenants with excellent credit and references seldom cause much damage and almost never in excess of the security deposit. Our screening company checks criminal, credit and eviction records as well as job history and landlords.
- Should the tenants leave the property owing more than is covered by the security deposit, they will be billed. If they do not pay, it will be turned over to a collection agency.
How will illume Property Management find tenants for my house? How long will it take?
- Your home will immediately be put on our list of available properties utilizing all avenues of advertising: illume Property Management's web site, external signs, internet, open houses, etc.
- We are in frequent contact with many real estate agents in the Portland metro area, relocation offices of major companies, and a large pool of tenants-in-need.
- It normally takes two to four weeks to rent a home. It sometimes takes longer in the winter. A home goes on the list of available properties as soon as we receive notice from the existing tenant and permission from the owner to re-rent.
What are the initial rental fees and how are they collected?
- We normally take a refundable security deposit totaling one month's rent and rent from the date of possession (keys received). The property is automatically professionally cleaned and locks changed between each tenant.
- The security deposit is held in a Clients Trust Account, as mandated by the state of Oregon's Real Estate Agency.
What does illume Property Management do if the tenant does not pay rent on time?
The rent is due on the first of each month and considered late after the fifth. If payment is not received by this date a "72-Hour Notice" to pay the rent or vacate will be delivered to the tenant. If they have not paid by the end of the notice period, we will notify the owner and file at the courthouse for a FED (eviction) hearing, which will be within ten to fourteen days. You would pay for filing fees and any other legal fees related to the FED. All fees will be billed back to the tenants once the eviction is completed; however the initial expense will be covered by the owner.
What happens if the tenant leaves before the end of the lease?
All tenants are required to provide a written 30 day notice to illume Property Management.The cancellation penalty for early termination is 1 ½ month's rent.
What if I don't want pets or smokers in the house? What about Children?
- Pet owners are not a protected class. However, by eliminating them you are probably eliminating 75% of the people in the market for a rental house! Being open to pets does make your property available to more potential renters. Additional deposits for pets are generally $250.00 and $25 pet rent per pet. The $250 deposit is deemed refundable only after the property has been inspected to confirm that the house is in its original condition.
- All of our properties prohibit smoking, in the interest of protecting your investment, as well as the health of the neighborhood.
- Children come under the protected class of "familial status" and it is not possible to discriminate in this way.
When do I get my money each month?
The rental funds must clear their banks before we can begin disbursing funds. It usually takes two weeks for such clearance. We begin the payment of bills on the fifteenth. Statements to owners, along with their checks, go out between the 15th and 30th. The statement will have all activity on the account for that month.
Who does the repair on the properties illume Property Management manages? Can I use my contractor for repairs?
We use a variety of outside contractors depending on what needs to be done. Many of our vendors have been with us for years and are available 24 hours a day for emergencies. They work at competitive rates and are licensed and bonded as appropriate. You are billed for exactly the amount of the vendors invoice; we do not charge for supervision of normal repairs.
Will I get called in the middle of the night with emergencies?
- illume Property Management will be responsible for handling all emergency calls. You will never be called in the middle of the night!
- All non-emergency repairs come to us as a work order request submitted by the tenant. If it is a repair essential to the maintenance of the property and less than $500, the repair will be ordered and you will see an entry for the payment of that bill in your next statement. If the cost is more than $500, or if there is a question of what should be done, we will e-mail/call you for approval.